Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they want to believe, often with their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the future they’re most susceptible to doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last six months people throughout the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not so much due to the deadly effects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s earned its wake. They desperately need to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media marketing as always helps it spread-at times considerably faster compared to the killer virus. Perhaps the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 80 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that typically the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for some countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we won’t make an explanation here just to avoid vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here this writer got a social media forward giving an url to an article by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. As we mentioned earlier lots of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that just a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action against the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory reduces at the essential premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon should be occurring annually, and why then this season must certanly be so different! Governments will not need to have gone on an emergency drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of various affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring lots of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) with regards to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the nation is still fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to avoid its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as a part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million so far and is still on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is to account for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that would probably stay for more than 2 yrs and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted at first this pandemic is the biggest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the entire world carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly worse compared to the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Exactly why is this type of mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least such an intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that will be.
Within the last few days new cases in India have been rising at nearly 25000 each day with the sole solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being truly a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. As of this crucial juncture we must not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill with regards to profit. Like, in case a link for an article with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media marketing and motivated media outlets consider the type of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.